•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Monday 17 May 2010

Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris


Title: Dead in the Family
Series:
Sookie Stackhouse
Book #: 10 (woah)
Author: Charlaine Harris
Pages: 320
Publisher: Ace Hardcover
Reading Level:
Adult
Rating:

"Probably that should have made me long for peace above all else. but instead of turning into the Bon Temps Gandhy, in my heart I held the knowledge that there was plenty of people I wanted dead."
-Sookie

After enduring torture and the loss of loved ones during the brief but deadly Faery War, Sookie Stackhouse is hurt and she's angry. Just about the only bright spot in her life is the love she thinks she feels for vampire Eric Northman. But he's under scrutiny by the new Vampire King because of their relationship.

And as the political implications of the Shifters coming out are beginning to be felt, Sookie's connection to the Shreveport pack draws her into the debate. Worst of all, though the door to Faery has been closed, there are still some Fae on the human side-and one of them is angry at Sookie. Very, very angry...

**SPOILER ALERT** If you haven't read the last few books, you will learn a lot you might not want to learn from this review.

Taschima:

So we start a couple of weeks after the Faery War and Sook is all messed up, both physically and mentally. The only good thing going for her right now is that she doesn't have to go through this alone, she has oh gorgeous Eric on her demand and call. But life goes on, no matter how hard it seems at times. Amelia, Sookie's witch friend and roommate, is moving back to her old place, but Sookie isn't left alone for long. New and old people are coming around Sookie's world, for better or worse.

So this book didn't have a very good, solid, plot. It was like, a lot of subplots together. Some of them are:
  • Sookie and Eric's relationship.
At times I thought Sookie wasn't going to decide if to be happy with Eric or to sabotage the relationship. A very cold and hurt (physically) Bill is roaming around, and if you have read the last book you can understand how that would worry me- remember the last feeling Sookie felt towards Bill? I don't want Sookie with Bill, I want her with Eric. So this kept me glued to the pages of course. Though I still think Charlaine should have taken more juice out of this sub plot...
  • The fairies that were left behind on the human world.
This little plot didn't either worry or entertain me a whole lot. Maybe because the issue wasn't so obvious as Eric's maker coming to town (yeah, seriously). And I never considered whatever faerie was left as such a big threat. All in all, I sort of ignored this part of the book till the very end.
  • The werewolve's serious problems.
Is this any news? These guys are always fighting! Sometimes they are worse than the vamps!! I still don't get why Sookie gets involved with them. It's like Alcide comes around so many months at a time just to bring trouble. Alcide, if you are reading this, just go away once and for all.
  • Eric's maker comes to town.
Well this was a more obvious and entertaining part of the book. It makes you wonder and worry about how Sookie will takes this, some of you may remember how she took her ex vamp boyfriend's maker... Yeah... Lol.

Yeah, that's basically the book. And, though entertaining, I was expecting more. I was certainly expecting more of Hunter (Sookie's little cousin) but we didn't see much of him. This book doesn't seem complete.

Oh, and we get to see more of Sookie's multiple personalities! In one page she wants to kill every single last vampire on Earth, and the next she is like, 'what the hell am I thinking about! ?Bad Christian, bad!'. Yeeeaaah... But actually this is what makes Sookie, Sookie. She had her bad and good all in one place, and she knows both parts of her exist. She tries to balance it out and be the best person she can possibly be, while trying to mayyybe stay alive. It may seem weird, but it works for her, and for me.

This book has it's ups, and it definitely had it's downs, but it was a good sequel to the Sookie Stackhouse series. Not great, but good enough. I hope next book is better, I really do. As of now I don't know what the next book will be about. Kind of exciting.
**EDIT** I forgot to mention the ending. It was my faovirte part of the book. Not because it ended, but because it had a lot of action and it went pretty fast. By the time you actually were up to speed with what was going on, ZAP! Something else happened! Pretty good ending.

Read the books in order, this is book number 10, so imagine all that you would be missing if you start on this book, or any other book that isn't the first one!!

Happy reading,

If you wish to read the first chapter, click here.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet, but I will soon! Whee, I love Eric! Damn hawt. Haha. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I have be reading mixed ones since this came out. I honestly do not know how I am waiting to read it, I may wait until next year when the next is released. For now, it daunts me on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read the first book so I won't be reading your review BUT I did look at your rating and... I'm happy that it you enjoyed the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this one. I just need to finish Dead & Gone...


    Hey I gave you an award if you want to check it out :)
    http://robsad79.blogspot.com/2010/05/bodacious-blogging-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your review pretty much mirrors my feelings about it. I finished "Dead in the Family" a few days ago and in a review I wrote on goodreads.com, I described this book as seeming to be a segue to the next. Your right about there being a bunch of sub plots mixed together but nothing really jumped out at me and got me excited. I liked it enough to not dislike it, if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the post! I like your review! I'm also working on Sookie book reviews. Can you leave some feedback, please, at amansprettyblog.blogspot.com? K, thks!

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...