•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Monday 19 December 2011

Review: Legend by Marie Lu


Legend (Legend, #1)
Title: Legend
Author: Marie Lu
Series: Legend
Book #: 1
Pages: 305
Reading Level: YA
Book Rating: 
Goodreads Rating: 4.12
Published: Nov. 29th, 2011
by Putnam Juvenile

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.


Taschima's POV:

The only thing I am not completely positive about that summary is the romance part, cause the book definitely has the romance, but it isn't the main thing about it, nor is it what makes it so awesome.

You know, there have been a heck of a lot of dystopian novels out there these days. It seems like every single last book I've read is a dystopian novel (don't blame me, blame my TBR pile). And out of all of them, I think Legend was my absolute favourite, and that is all thanks to the characters (I am a character driven girl, if I like the characters, and the plot line is decent, you have me).

I was a little weary going in because of all the "buzz" this novel has had. But it seems the buzz was well deserved. There were times when I actually had to step away from the novel to digest what had just happened, to say it didn't go the way I was expecting is to put it mildly. I think in the whole novel I only guessed one thing of the outcome, and it hurt.

Day. Oh Day. I love you Day. I haven't been able to say this to any other boy character in a while, they have just been lacking. But Day is something else. He is the most wanted criminal, not the most dangerous, the most wanted. June thinks that this distinction is very important, and I do too. Because Day is not wanted because he is evil and just kills at a whim, he likes to mess with the society and make them look stupid. That is why he is the most wanted. He is also so very cocky, in this department he reminds me of Jace in The Mortal Instruments, he just knows the effect he can have on the ladies,  and he ain't shy about it. But he is just the right amount of cocky that doesn't make you want to puke but you find charming. He also would do just about anything for his family, and a little orphan girl he picked up in the street, her name is Tess. He is also very very smart, and funny on his own way, and strong, and agile, and and and... I love him!! I think I have a crush guys.

June is the girl main character. The chapters go from June to Day, and how they switch the voices is pretty clever. June and Day are very much alike in how they think and stuff because they are both very very smart, even though they come about it in different ways, so when yo go from one chapter to the next the colours of the words change, June's chapters are black words and Day's are golden words. It's pretty cool. More than this differentiates the characters though, as you will learn when you read the novel.
 Anyways, I like June because she is a very calculating, very smart, and clever girl. Even though she isn't very warm, but she knows what she wants and who she is. Also in the beginning she took the government's word, but by the middle you can see her hesitation in doing this and so she starts investigating on her own accord. Plus she is like 15 and the smartest kid around in this book (besides Day) so it's kind of intimidating. Her and Day make a great team, but will they make a great couple? That's up to the next novel to decide, I'm still not positive. In my mind I think Day should just come home to me and I'll make him happy, but oh well *sigh*

The extra characters I liked where Metia's (I was so so sad when he died), June's brother, and Tess, Day's orphan girl. They just brought something else into the mix, they made pieces of the main characters personalities shine, and I appreciate them for that.

Let's see, let's come up with at least one annoying thing about the novel... Oh, the names. I had to get used to June and Day (the names not the characters). It just didn't click for me at first, such mundane names for two very special teenagers, but I got used to it.

I could say so much more lovely things about Day, and the setting of the story. The government, as always in dystopian novels, has something up it's sleeves, and in this novel we uncover this fact, we don't know what exactly they have planned though, not yet, left to the next novel (which I will buy and read and take to the nearest church so I can marry Day, you can marry a fictional character in the U.S. right?). It's worth it, so worth it, read it!




Status Update



1 comment:

  1. Tasch!
    Glad to hear you say that you liked this one. There definitely are a lot of dystopians running around (rampant), but I haven't been very keen on most of them, since they seem to be more romance-heavy. I STILL haven't read this one from BEA, but it's moved up to the top of my TBR thanks to your review!

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...